Wednesday, March 7, 2012

This is a picture of 7 young ducks that were dropped off at the Lake late last spring (2011). They were so cute but they were also very scared, huddling close to each other, bumping into each other while walking and swimming.  They were far from full size and were so young that they didn't' even quack yet, only making peeping sounds.  Just about broke my heart.  I was considering asking someone to help me try to round them up - which wouldn't have been too hard since they were not only small but would let you pick them up if you were careful and gentle - and take them to an animal rescue place. But, then I saw that they all had a colored plastic band on one of their ankles.  It took me a while to figure out that they may have had bands placed on them at a rescue place and they dropped off at Lake Afton.  The first night they were here I saw a resident white duck take them to a safe area and he settled down with them to go to sleep.  I was so touched!

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know! I was so afraid for them. I honestly don't think I'd have been able to sleep that first night otherwise. It broke my heart that they probably still needed a mother and didn't have one to protect them and to teach them how to fend for themselves. :(

      Delete