Friday, April 6, 2012

Cool shells and...Let the nesting begin!

I'm amused by the pair of eyes sticking out of the water.  The turtle's shell has an interesting design that's surprisingly easy to see as it sits just above the water.  Cool!

This turtle is swimming away.  I also love the shell design through the water.

This turtle was sunning himself on a rock and flew into the water when he saw me.  After swimming away, he turned around and swam up to this tree branch.  I think he's glaring at me in this picture. :)   Once again, a cool shell design, looking like someone splattered tan paint onto his shell.

It took a lot of sweet talking on my part to be able to get this close.  The male Canadian Goose is VERY protective of his girl.  I'd say I was about 6 feet from them.  She's very snugly sitting on her nest.  I wonder how many eggs she's got under there.  When I got this close to them her beak started opening and closing without sound.  I took it as goose language to her other half - probably complaining about me :)

While she's sitting on her nest, she grabs a piece of twig to add to the nest.

There she goes again with the beak moving up and down as she's looking at her mate.  I suspect she's saying something like "Look at her, she's looking at me again.  Can't I have some privacy?!"  I was considerable further from her.... maybe 50 feet??  Gotta love that zoom lens!

No comments:

Post a Comment