Sunday, April 8, 2012

Protecting their nest and the property surrounding it

Yesterday I came upon a Canadian Goose' nest while she was away.  So cool!  Just as I got close to the nest--- the expectant goose couple flew in at break neck speed from the other side of the lake.  I was pleasantly surprised that even after they got back the female stood next to her nest instead of immediately sitting on it.  The nest was a fluffy mixture of tiny down feathers and crushed leaves, twigs.  I was sorry that I didn't have my camera because I could have gotten a good picture of her nest.  Next time.

That same goose couple today, on Easter---- the male was being typically protective of his mate and their nest that she was so dutifully sitting on.  He was so protective that when 2 geese were swimming directly across the lake from the nest the male goose charged over there and started chasing the 2 geese away.  Then, I was surprised to see one of the 2 geese submerge himself under the water in a split second and maybe 3-5 seconds later popped up in a different location which seemed to outrage the male goose.  The male goose once again ran on top of the water, chasing the other goose away.  For the time being.  

I think the eggs will begin hatching in a few weeks.  Can't wait to see all the little goslings start to appear around the lake!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment